Seasonal Baby Food Recipes.
Our in-house nutritionist Mary van der Westhuzien has devised a set of seasonal baby food recipes to see you & your baby through the winter season.
She has used simple, fresh everyday organic ingredients with clever combinations to maximise not only on taste but also nutritional value.
Halloween Pumpkin Baby Puree.
Ingredients for pumpkin baby puree:
Chickpeas (cooked or rinsed and drained if tinned) (50g)
Garlic (1 clove)
Turmeric (a pinch)
Butter or olive oil (to taste)
Method for pumpkin baby puree:
1. Roast the pumpkin and garlic clove in the oven for 20 mins at 180 degrees
2. Chop the cauliflower florets into even pieces and steam for 10 mins until tender and moist.
3. Blend the pumpkin, chickpeas, cauliflower and garlic.
4. Add the turmeric and butter or olive oil and stir.
* check temperature before feeding to your baby
Nutritional values of pumpkin baby puree:
Chickpeas are excellent sources of protein and iron – vitally important nutrients for optimum growth and energy.
Pumpkin is a brilliant slow release carbohydrate to support optimum energy levels; it includes vitamin A, which is important for immune health.
Garlic is a good source of the prebiotic inulin which helps feed beneficial gut bacteria; it also contains antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
Tumeric is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent, particularly brilliant for this time of year when we need to support the body in its battle against winter lurgies.